Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Heat

Last night, crazy thing happened:
After work and the gym, I went to my sister's apartment for dinner. Her and her girlfriend are lighting candles around the apartment, and I take my shirt off and put it on her desk, but it's so dark that I don't really notice that there's a candle there ...
5 minutes later, I come back and there's this brilliant light.
The first thought in my mind is not:

"Fire!"
or
"Run!"
or
"Stop, Drop & Roll!"

But rather,
"What a beautiful light fixture! I wonder where my sister got that ..."

Perhaps this is the over-aestheticization of experience that visual culture theorists have been talking about for so long, and I just never really understood until my survival reflexes were inhibited by calm, aesthetic contemplation.
Have I taken the notion of academic disinterest too far? Am i disinterested in experience? What happened to the zen of living?

Or maybe i'm just thinking too much. Most likely ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home